Saturday, 12 December 2009

12th December photo - Quantum Leap

It is a very foggy day here today, so I needed a bold structure to stand out in the fog and what better than the new bold sculpture which has just been unveiled in town - the Quantum Leap. This is our Council's commemorative to Charles Darwin in the 200th anniversary year of his birth here in Shrewsbury.

As you can imagine, this has been a major topic of discussion - lots of people don't like it (it is huge- I would say about 20' high), others can't see the link to Darwin, some find it a waste of tax payers money - it cost 1/2 million pounds! - which is £100,000 over budget, because half way through construction they found they were 18" out of alinement - so it would not all meet up - so that had to do major work to correct it.

I quite like it - if I don't think about how much it cost! I like its setting down next to the river - not that you can see the river today because of the fog! I hope that now it is in situ - the town's folk will take to it and put all the controversy put behind them.


The top photo is my POTD - as try as hard as I could - I could not edit out the red life ring, very well, from the middle of the photo on the middle photo.

4 comments:

Karen said...

I really like the sculpture but maybe I'd feel differently if my council had spent that much on it. What is it supposed to represent? It looks like a backbone to me.

Deb said...

Karen - I think it looks like a backbone vertebrae as well - but that's half the problem - no one really knows what it is meant to represent!

Mrsjobee said...

I must search this out when I am down.

Deb said...

Jo, you won't have to look far for it - its huge!