Wednesday, 30 December 2009

30th December photo - snow at last!

3-4" of snow is what the weather forecasters promised overnight - so I went to bed quite excited thinking that at long last I could get a snowy photo before the end of this project. Imagine my disappointment when I looked out of the window and saw rain! Not to be deprived of a snowy photo (as everyone else has one!) I decided that action was needed and set my sights on Wales - where I was sure there must be some snow. Steven sensing my determination, realised that it was better not to disagree with me and just got in the car and kept quiet as I drove through howling wind & rain - clearly thinking I had turned into a mad woman.


Anyway - I was proved right and we found some snow and I got my snowy photo!! This photo is taken at an earth cache where millions of years ago lots of rocks tumbled down the valley from the top creating a river of rocks. There is nothing to find at an earth cache - you just have to have your photo taken to prove you have been there.


We drove to just outside Llangollen and started the walk at Valle Crucis Abbey and did 6 geocaches along a 4 mile route - which did feel quite a bit longer as we had to tread carefully as there was still quite a lot of ice about. Actually it was a really nice after Christmas walk with beautiful scenery and the snow just added to the magical (but cold) feel of it and by the end of it, I think he was quite pleased that I had dragged him out into Wales.


Despite wrapping up warmly - we were quite cold after being outside for 3 hours or so - so we headed into Llangollen town and found a lovely cafe and had a bowl of tomato & chilli soup which certainly warmed us up before heading home - with me smugly pleased with myself that with just one day to go - I at long last, had got my snowy photo!

Just one slight problem now - which of these 4 photos do I print out for my album!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

At last!
I like the first two becasue I like the grainy snow, but the third one is so pretty.
Happy New Year Deb-see you on 52 walks!

Linda said...

Oh well done Deb! You got your snowy photo! And they are all lovely, I cna't decide which is my favourite

Mrsjobee said...

So pleased you got your snowy photo at last.

Coffeedoff said...

Great you got your snow! Hope it goes before you get fed up with it!