Sunday, 8 November 2009

8th November photo - Remembrance Sunday

Today was Remembrance Sunday - a day when we all need to remember those who lost their lives to make the World a better place for us.

This war memorial stands in the Quarry in Shrewsbury and is where the Civic procession lay all the poppy wreaths.

I must admit that this statue always scared me as a child - not sure why - perhaps because it is black and has a scary image - but then war is horrific. Even as an adult, I tend to walk past this memorial with my eyes averted. So coming to take a photo of it today - has forced me to look carefully at it for once. Yes it is still scary, but hopefully now having faced up to it - each time I pass it from now on I can give it the full attention it deserves.


2 comments:

Karen said...

Great photos Deb. It is a very striking memorial and very different to the usual monuments I've seen.

Linda said...

that really is a very striking war memorial Deb. Ours in Worthing is a column with a ww1 soldier on the top with his rifle raised in the air. Not so scary as yours.