First I went to Williamsons Tunnels to do an earth cache and was able to go on a tour of the underground tunnels which he built into the sandstone rock underneath the city in the nineteenth century.
This was a fascinating insight to the social history of that period and I wish I had lots of money so that I could contribute to their funds to allow further exploration of the site.
The day was full of contrasts - the old and the new - which Liverpool seems to do very well. Next stop the contemporary Roman Catholic Cathedral
and the old sailors church at the sea front.
The modern seafront buildings sit comfortably next to the old docks and grand old shipping administrative buildings - I can't wait until this museum opens next year.
I still prefer the grandeur of this though.
Liverpool seems to pride itself on sculpture - it is dotted all around the city and whilst I can appreciate the new modern style - I really love the old grand style of sculpture.



No comments:
Post a Comment