Tuesday, 25 August 2009

23rd August photo - the slate mine

Today I found my self at an old slate mine ( in search of a geocache - what else!!). I had a beautiful walk through the old deserted buildings and workings of the mine.



These old buildings certainly evoke a sense of history.

Not surprisingly products made of slate were everywhere. A slate fence....

..a slate wall....

...a slate stile...

..a slate path - makes a nice change from the usual muddy paths I have to negotiate...

This is the old bell on the managers office which was used to summon the miners to work and signal the end of their very long working day - I expect they had a love / hate relationship with that bell.
There were mounds of slate everywhere.

A different view of the mine - glad I did not have to work in there.

Not sure which one to choose as my POTD - I think it may be the slate fence or wall one.

1 comment:

Karen said...

More beautiful photos. I love the one of the slate wall with the river running by.