Today T and I spent a fab day out geocaching in Wales. We were so lucky with the weather - blue skies and sunshine all day - summer has returned! We started off at Llangollen doing a few caches around there.
This is the view from high up on a hill of a very old Abbey - I don't know whats its called - but I think well worth a return visit to see it close up.
These are the Horseshoe Falls - a man made creation to divert the water from the river into a nearby Thomas Telford canal. It was stunning here - I could have stayed and soaked up the view for ages - but we had caches to find!

This next photo does not show what I wanted to show - we were here doing a cache called 5 bridges - because there are 5 bridges here - but I could not get them all in. It looked good in real life though, because 4 of them criss crossed over each other..
This is the 5th one - a footbridge over the river from the railway station to the hotel - it would be an idyllic spot to stay right next to the river.

Then we headed up the Horseshoe Pass - a windy road high up in the mountains but with a huge cafe at the top - I think it must qualify for the highest cafe in Wales award! I was very excited because I had never been here before. After a picnic lunch where we sat admiring the gorgeous views, we did 2 caches - one was called '
bikers & bolshy sheep' - because it is a motor bikers heaven up here - they love tearing around the bends and the sheep are very wise to picnickers - like us and come over to join in with your lunch!
Then we drove to Graigfechan - a small village but with some lovely woods were quite a few caches had been set up. This one was in a spooky cave - which we had to battle through the undergrowth to find the entrance - I have cuts & scratches all over my legs & arm snow - but it was worth it once we got inside.
(Sorry photo is blurred - camera slipped off the right setting - in fact I think it was on the wrong one all day as the colours in all these photos are really pants - when really they were bright & vibrant - will I ever learn to keep checking?!)

One cache was called Goldilocks and the 3 bears - and we had to find a cache each for mama, papa & baby bear which then led us to the final cache - the 3 bears house. This tumble down tiny cottage was a real find in the woods - don't know what it was for - but it was cute and this was T's 500th cache find - so congratulations to her!.
It was quite late when we set off home - but we stopped back in Llangollen for one more cache so we did not end up on no.13 We found a nice easy cache by the Motor museum - so 14 caches in all - not bad and lots of walking and fab new sights. I spotted this sign here which made me chuckle!

There was a lovely red sky here - but as usual my photos don't do it justice - it was so intense.

Then I pestered her to stop for just one more photo here outside the railway station - a beautiful shiny Welsh Harp - which actually looks nice in the evening light.

So a great day out in Wales again - its our favourite caching destination.
3 comments:
As always, a beautiful set of photo's Deb.
oooo looks like you had a fabulous time Deb! Fab pics as ever!
Another lovely set of photos. I especially like the harp pic!.
Post a Comment