Tuesday, 13 October 2009

13th October photo - Halloween cakes

I know its not yet Halloween but I wanted to practice making some Halloween cakes in preparation for the big day. I am quite please with how these have turned out. I have never made orange icing before - but it was surprisingly easy! getting the consistancy of the icing just right was harder - it was either too runny or too firm and did not spread enough. The piping was the fiddly bit - I could not keep the circles quite round - but I suppose the un-eveness makes them a bit more spooky. They were polished off very quickly and I know what I am doing on Hallow's eve now!

I quite like this top photo best as the near cakes are quite sharp and the distant ones more blurred - so this one is my POTD

Remembering the rule of 3's from scrapbooking - yep this one is better than the photo of the 2 cakes.
The warming filter does not help this photo at all - but I am still experimenting with it - I really think it has been a good investment so far.

4 comments:

Mrsjobee said...

yum!!

Karen said...

I don't believe it!!! Guess what I bought the other day? A pot of orange food colouring gel so that I could decorate some cakes with orange icing on Halloween! Your cakes look super. I bet they tasted great.

Coffeedoff said...

Wow you have so much patience!

VickiA said...

phwoar - they look great. Did you get the cases from Lakeland by any chance...?