Tuesday, 21 July 2009

21st July photo - my new CD's

Oh dear Pablo Neruda's poetry should come with a health warning!! I am halfway through his biography (which I posted last week) and really enjoying it - he led a fascinating life. I am reading his poetry in tandem with this book - but many of his poems are so powerful that they are having quite an stirring effect on me! Never ever did I think that I would come to enjoy poetry.


So finding myself in quite an emotional state - I end up making it worse by discovering music which is having the same effect on me!

From the Northern Soul music scene, I have known a couple of tracks by Terry Callier but thanks to You tube, I have found some of his new romantic music which is so beautiful & emotive. Just listen to these 2 wonderful tracks below.



Terry Callier's story is equally as romantic - He began writing and recording music in 1963 but never reached a large audience. So he took a job as a computer programmer at the University of Chicago. In the 1990's a British Company contacted him for rights to use one of his tracks in the Northern Soul scene - his music went down a storm and DJ's at Northern Soul all-nighters all over the UK, started playing his music and he was 're-discovered', coming over to Britain to play at gigs in the university holidays. In the late 1990's he started recording again and this time has found such recognition from a wider audience that he no longer works as a computer programmer - concentrating on his soulful music. I am so gutted to find that we have missed a concert in Manchester that he did in June this year. He is performing at the Brighton Festival in August - so I am trying to persuade Steven that we need to go!



Anyway the point of this long post is to show my POTD - 5 new Terry Callier CD's that arrived this morning.


There were tracks on all these CD's that I liked and I could not make up my mind - so I ordered all 5! Some folks think that I am slightly insane - perhaps this is evidence that I am!


I am sure that a good old fashioned slap in the face will come along and kick me out of this emotional reverie - but for the moment I am thinking of taking out shares in the Kleenex company!

If you fancy hearing some of his great dance music - instead of this soppy stuff, just put Terry Callier Ordinary Joe and look at me now - into You tube and you will be treated to some lovely footstomping treats.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Glad you're getting so much out of Pablo Neruda's poetry - it must be very powerful.

Linda said...

No I don't think you're insane! Why not have all 5! I am going to watch those you tube videos later, cos I haven't heard of Terry Collier. Might have to read some Pablo Neruda too! Thanks for the inspiration.