Tuesday, 27 October 2009

27th October photo - Stokesay Castle

Concious that I have rather neglected my home county of Shropshire on my forays into Wales - I decided to put that right today and had a lovely home grown walk around the hills of Craven Arms. My starting place was the hauntingly beautiful Stokesay Castle.


The castle is owned and maintained by English Heritage - but was not open today! I love this view - it reminds me of a room that Rapunzel may have been locked up in.


Even the moat is well maintained - minus the water though!!

I followed much of the Shropshire Way along my walk and it reminded me that I really need to explore this walk way around my county - I have walked bits of it but I think the time has come to walk all of it! I am tempted to use this lovely symbol of the Shropshire Way as my photo of the day, but as I intend to walk along it again and so get the chance to photograph it before the year is up, I am going to stick with the castle photo as my POTD.



Along the way I thought I had discovered something unique to Shropshire - a two headed cow! But in fact it was just 2 cows standing really close and being pally - it did startle me for a minute though!

The hills above Craven Arms have some fantastic views but it was a little hazy today so they don't show up to their best (again!!). One day I really hope I can get a perfect landscape shot to show you all.



My walk was a pleasant circular walk and this is the lovely view of the castle on the homeward stretch.


5 comments:

VickiA said...

What a beautiful building. LOL at the two headed cow!

Mrsjobee said...

Craven Arms is somewhere we drive through to get to Shrewsbury - occassionally stopping off at Tuffins!!! Have never been to Stokesay either - shame on me!!

Linda said...

wow stunning castle! You are so lucky to live in beautiful Shropshire! Living her eon the coast limits the places we go to by half - we can't go south:(

Coffeedoff said...

Lovely photos, I liked the two headed cow too!

Karen said...

Great photos. LOL at the cow - I had to look twice. I love the photo of the patchwork of fields.