Sunday, 10 May 2009

10th May 2009 - Shrewsbury Regatta

Shrewsbury lies in a loop of the River Severn - but we don't really make the most of the river's assets, as other towns, such as Chester do - except for once a year when we host the Shrewsbury Regatta. This is an eagerly awaited event and it draws rowers & spectators from all over the country - so I popped down this afternoon to take a lovely photo. But taking photos of long shaped rowing boats moving at fast speed is not easy as I found out!



I took a lot of photos but really they are not very good - so my photo of the day is going to be either of the ones above - because I like the expressions on the faces of the rowers, showing all the effort they are putting in to win the race! Or may be the one below.



There are lots of events - adults, children's and masters. There are singles, doubles and eights. Male, female and mixed teams.



The events are centred around Shrewsbury School club house and Pengwern Rowing Club both in the Quarry Park and there were large crowds cheering the teams on today.




I always like the way they get the boats into the water - but even cropping this does not make it a good photo!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Lovely selection of photos Deb. Looks like it was a nice sunny afternoon too.