Tuesday, 7 April 2009

Cadair Idris Lakes

Thelma & I had planned to climb up Cadair Idris in Wales yesterday - but when we arrived the mountain was cloaked in clouds and rain was forecast - so we decided it was not worth the trek up to the top if we were not going to see anything when we got there and in fact given my appalling fitness on lower slopes today - it was actually a very good decision.

Cadair Idris is the mountain with the clouds hovering overhead and as the day progressed it became completely covered in clouds.
There were lots of geocaches hidden around the area, so we changed our plans and walked and climbed to find these instead.


The first 3 caches were up this hill - which was very steep at the start and involved quite a bit of scrambling over the rocks to get to the top - yes the very pointed top of this hill.




We then had to walk along the ridge (all along the top of the middle hill in the photo below) to the next cache - it was so windy that I thought that even heavyweight me was going to get blown off.
The area is outstandingly beautiful - even on a miserable day like yesterday. Everywhere you looked there were gorgeous sights.
It started to rain after the first 3 caches so we had lunch in the car and then set off for some more goecache hunting - we are both quite tough cookies - a little bit of rain does not stop us! The first one of the afternoon was the one under the bridge that I posted last night. This one was bare feet or wellies and as I did not want to lug the wellies about - bare feet it was!

My walking boots looking a little bit like a Reginald Perrin story.

Me with a collection of other caches.


The reamaing caches were not too far from each other but all involved walks along roads and banks with inclines - so by the end of the day we were wet through and my legs were so tired I could hardly put one foot infront of the other - thankfully Thelma drove home!


This was the last cache of the day and by now I was soaking wet - I am definately coming back to this beautiful area - but only on a nice summers day!

1 comment:

VickiA said...

Looks like you had a fantastic day and what amazing photo's. You've got me interested in geocaching... have mentioned it to the OH and he seems interested as well.