Thursday, 23 April 2009

23rd April photo - woodlands and workplaces

I have been out geocaching again today and visited some fab places - from lovely woodlands to historical industrial workplaces. Again tons of photos - but not sure which one to choose for the daily photo yet.
My first cache was found after a lovely walk down some country lanes and into a small woodland which was carpeted with bluebells and ferns just about to open. Despite taking tons of photos in the woods - none of them really focused in and the lighting was not right - so just a poor offering of what was actually quite a spectacular sight!
After this I drove to Coalbrookdale - home to the famous IronBridge and did a few caches around here. One cache led me to the top of a hill and which gave lovely views over the World famous Iron Bridge in one direction and these huge modern day cooling towers at the power station in the other direction.
Despite tweaking this photo - I cannot improve the lighting - think something is wrong with my camera!


On next to the Quaker Burial ground and these stones are memorials to many famous people. This area is the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution starting with the process of how to develop Iron and these are the tombstones of the industrial pioneers.

The stones are so old now that it is actually hard to read the inscriptions - this is one of the best. Then back into more more woods - Loamdale Dingle - for another tricky cache hidden under this bridge - I did get a little mucky!

The woods were next to The Museum of Iron so I paid a visit to the grounds. This is the original furnace - dated 1638 - where Abraham Darby first smelted iron ore. It is housed in this modern day building - which I think is rather nice.

The arches behind the building are home to another Industrial Revolution invention - the railways!


All in all a fab day out and there are still lots more caches to do in the area so I can't wait for a return trip.

4 comments:

Karen said...

I love your blog Deb. You always have such interesting photos and I enjoy reading about your outings.

Coffeedoff said...

Another lovely set of photos.

Linda said...

fab photos Deb! You do visit soem great places with your geocaching! I must find out more about it.

joanold said...

A great set of photos. Your photos and descriptions take me into another world, and I love it!